X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LuvLatins
    Site Administrator
    • Mar 2006

2nd Tripping on the moon

So how was the second tripping on the moon party ?
  • thsnyc
    • Jun 2008

Re: 2nd Tripping on the moon

Fun, but not as fun as the first. First time is always the best, everytime, no?

Comment

• dino59
      Member of The Music Lives On
      • Mar 2006

here is a couple of pics from the party
      Attached Files

Comment

• conor l
        • Mar 2006

Originally posted by dino59
        here is a couple of pics from the party
        Bobbys T shirt is cool. Any idea where I could get one on the web?

Anyone know if they do another TOTM, is there plans to get other Saint DJs ie. Terry, Warren Gluck, Sharon White et al to play?

Comment

• hobes
          • Jul 2006

I heard it was 'safe'... tho he did say that China Crisis' Hanna Hanna got an airing
          Last edited by hobes; October 14, 2009, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• FanDancer
            Site Administrator
            • Mar 2006

I wonder what kind of crowd they would get if they ever did a "Saint Morning Music Party" - nothing but morning music from beginning to end?

I know the younger guys would hate it, but I sure would go!!

Would love to see Fierman do the first half with music morning music up through 1988 and someone more current finish the party with morning type music from 1988 onwards.
            "To live it again is past all endeavor, except when the tune clutches my heart..."

Comment

• LuvLatins
              Site Administrator
              • Mar 2006

To be honest, I did not go this time because I did not think he played "real music" that was played at the Saint the last time. I enjoyed seeing everyone but the music left much to be desired. This time I even sent Robbie a message on his face page with a few suggestions. Like - Close To Perfection, Somebody's Eyes, Electric Dreams, Sound of My Heart but I heard that non of these were played. I could even list the biggest anthem of all which I am also sure was not played. (In the Evening) this track was played because it was a perfect anthem for a dance floor that is under a dome. I am sure that was not played as well.

I KNOW they dont like to hear please play this .... Or Please play that ... But at least if your going to play a 30th reunion party play music that was played there at the time. "Native New Yorker" COME ON GET REAL !

And dont look to me in this round if the music is put up for sale, count me OUT. I know I may sound bitter but I wonder if they even still have these old records around. Almost reminds me of how the SAL organization moved away from the true memory and spirit of the Saint.

Comment

• FanDancer
                Site Administrator
                • Mar 2006

Reflecting on what James said (below) with regard to my prior musings about the feasability of a "Sleaze/Morning Music Party" - that's probably the PRECISE reason why a party like that couldn't ever happen.

SO MUCH of that music hasn't been heard on a dancefloor ANYWHERE for over 2 decades now, that I bet alot of these DJ's don't even have the recordings anymore. How sad...such a special and unique genre of music that would be lost, were it not for efforts like ours here at TMLO.

Originally posted by LuvLatins
                I know I may sound bitter but I wonder if they even still have these old records around. Almost reminds me of how the SAL organization moved away from the true memory and spirit of the Saint.
                "To live it again is past all endeavor, except when the tune clutches my heart..."

Comment

• conor l
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by FanDancer
                  Reflecting on what James said (below) with regard to my prior musings about the feasability of a "Sleaze/Morning Music Party" - that's probably the PRECISE reason why a party like that couldn't ever happen.

SO MUCH of that music hasn't been heard on a dancefloor ANYWHERE for over 2 decades now, that I bet alot of these DJ's don't even have the recordings anymore. How sad...such a special and unique genre of music that would be lost, were it not for efforts like ours here at TMLO.
                  I think that is very much a 'glass is half empty' mindset. I wasnt obviously at either party, but the records you mentioned I would imagine are very much alive. I know Daniel Wang and the Horse Meat Disco guys would play 'In the evening' quite a bit and have been for years. At the end of the day, great records are great records and great djs will always find great music and push it, no matter how rare or old a track may be.

This stuff moves in cycles and there is never reason to lose hope in knowing (especially with how the internet has changed means of information changing hands) that somewhere out there, this music is still going strong. I know without said technological developments, I wouldve never heard greats like Thode, Burgess or Bobby and as such come across records like 'High on your love', 'Night rider' or 'Close your eyes' which among many many others are all records which I have played many times to crowds which have probably never heard them in Dublin. In fact 'High on your love' is probably THE anthem of the clubnight I run and DJ at here in Dublin, 12, and I first heard and fell in love with that record via a Bobby V Trocadero Transfer tape from 79 that I heard 4/5 years ago.

All that said, I like the idea of the odd party here or there like TOTM and RTP in San Fran, but it would be good to keep things fresh with them to keep people from losing interest (Which is almost an anomaly given its a party based on nostalgia!)

Anyway enough waffle, whats most important nowadays and in all of this really is sites like this, through which the seed is spread far and wide, for this music to take on new life and context for newer generations (Its also important greats who have passed on like Roy Thode and Jim Burgess get their dues)

Comment

• Leo
                    • May 2007

I had a great time, the music was great and the lighting excellent.
                    Leonardo

Comment

• FanDancer
                      Site Administrator
                      • Mar 2006

Originally posted by LuvLatins
                      "Native New Yorker" COME ON GET REAL!
                      Confused as to why you would say that, James. 'Native New Yorker' was pretty much a standard at the Saint....in fact it appears on at least 20 different mixes within our music collection....

Comment

• LuvLatins
                        Site Administrator
                        • Mar 2006

Your right I guess it was played there but for me what made the Saint was the fact that when you went you were looking forward to hearing things that you could only hear at the Saint. It was not commercial "radio" music. For me that is what made it so exciting. So to go to a 30th anniversary party and hear "Native New Yorker" was a huge turn off.

At the party I was hoping to hear him play things from the past that were very special like. Alba - Only Music Survives or Hit List - Into The Fire or Giorgia - Together In Electric Dreams or Viola - Somebody's Eyes, or Miguel - Close to Perfection or Limahl - Never Ending Story and the list goes on and on.

Sadly, not enough of the tracks that were Saint Anthems were played. These type of tracks were the ones that you went there and waited to hear. NOT NATIVE NEW YORKER.

While Leo may disagree, I was very sad after I listened again to the set from the first party and realized just how much was NOT played. But I think you said it best, they probably dont even have this stuff around anymore. While I respect Robbie and Michael, it struck me that they have fallen victim to the same thing that the SAL has, they APPEAR to be in it for the money.

If I were going to do that party, I would attempt to recreate the star machine atmosphere (somehow) and perhaps have a live performer come back and sing one of the Anthems LIVE ! Now Conor would remind me just how hard throwing one of these parties can be, and yes I did enjoy seeing everyone but this is not the kind of party that I found myself, saying:

"Yes after 30 Years, WOW that was worth waiting 30 years to go to and it was something I will always remember".

Just my sad, old wishful, living in the past regrets I guess and refusal to accept the fact that its gone. But hey there is always THE MUSIC LIVES ON !
                        Last edited by LuvLatins; October 23, 2009, 09:23 AM.

Comment

• Leo
                          • May 2007

LOL, LOL,

I feel that 6 or 8 hours is not enough time to re-create a Saint Party. I think That the DJ's are limited at these venues to create the magic they did at The Saint. I always feel bad for whom ever is doing the lighting, how do you create a light show that resembles The Saint without a dome!!!

To me they do a pretty great job at these parties.

I hear there is a White Party in the making and that it will be on Saturday and will run over 15 hours. If the Dj's list is right I will be there in White and all.
                          Leonardo

Comment

• LuvLatins
                            Site Administrator
                            • Mar 2006

Your probably right it was played there but for me that track was a "radio tune" and was main stream. I really wanted to hear things like "High Above The Clouds by Narada Michael Walden or such a host of other tunes. Leo you were there, did he play any of the really good Saint Anthems that you remember ?

Comment

• Leo
                              • May 2007

This time around the music was great, at least for me.
                              I went to dance and to spend time with old friends.
                              Also the second time around I connected with friends I had not talked to in 20 years.
                              I had a great time and look forward for the next TOTM.
                              Leonardo

Comment

Working...