X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LuvLatins
    Site Administrator
    • Mar 2006

Viola Wills December 30, 1939 - May 6, 2009

The Music Lives On and the world have lost another legend. We are profoundly saddened to learn of the loss of Ms. Viola Wills.

As a tribute to her, you may click on the Launch Player button at the top of this page to hear some of her great contributions.

Farewell sweet lady and may you always Rest In Peace. Thank you creating such beautiful music and sharing it with all of us. We will always remember you fondly. Unlike the lyrics in one of your great songs, None of Us are Gonna Get Along Without You Now !

Born Viola Mae Wilkerson in the Watts district of South Los Angeles, Wills was married and the mother of six children when, in 1965, she was discovered by Barry White who signed her to Bronco Records and rechristened her with the shorter stage surname of Wills.[4]. She started her career at the Los Angeles Conservatory of Music and, over the following years, in addition to working with White, also performed with Joe Cocker, Smokey Robinson and many other established recording artists of the era. It was while working in London as one of Cocker's backing vocalists (dubbed the "Sanctified Sisters") that she worked on and released her solo debut album of self-penned originals titled Soft Centers, backed by Cocker's session players.[5]

I hope each of you will say something about her or her music in this thread.
    Last edited by LuvLatins; May 9, 2009, 02:40 PM.
  • LuvLatins
    Site Administrator
    • Mar 2006

Re: Viola Wills December 30, 1939 - May 6, 2009

I actually cried as I posted this. She was an amazing person and her music was truly wonderful. My memories run deep. My first true love and I used to play "If You Could Read My Mind" over and over again on his tape deck. The song brings back a flood of wonderful memories.

She continued to make one hit after another and even recently I discovered "Enjoy Yourself". Not even sure when she made that track but Its still the promo track on the website for the Sea Tea cruises which happen each summer and go around Manhattan.

I am confident that every single DJ possesses many of her anthems. She inspired others I am sure to sing and her loss is profoundly tragic.

May she rest in peace. Thank You Viola for making so many happy with your wonderful voice and music. I know I will truly miss you.

Comment

• Leo
      Member of The Music Lives On
      • May 2007

My favorite song of her is "Secret Love" 1980. What a voice!!! Rest in peace Miss Wills

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      Leonardo

Comment

• Andy Farley
        Member of The Music Lives On
        • Mar 2006

A true legend is sadly lost RIP Viola your music will live on always

Comment

• FanDancer
          Site Administrator
          • Mar 2006

I am DEEPLY saddened by this news. Thank you for all of your beautiful music, Viola...we will NEVER forget you!
          "To live it again is past all endeavor, except when the tune clutches my heart..."

Comment

Working...